Join the conversation! Follow me on Twitter @CrispinKatie and join the family on Facebook at The Cider Kitchen!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fox Barrel Mulled Cider Pumpkin Cookies

Oh yum. Gimme one...or three. 

I think deciding to make pumpkin cookies with mulled cider was the best idea I had all week. I have a lot of good ideas so that's actually a substantial statement. But seriously, these turned out pretty delicious, you should probably make them and share with friends. Or not. 

You will need:
1 cup Fox Barrel Mulled Cider, reduced to 1/2 cup
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground clove
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter, softened + 1 Tbsp. melted
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg 
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups sifted powdered sugar 

Start by reducing the cider in a small pot over low heat, this will take about 15-20 min. You can start on the cookie batter or do what I did and drink the cider you poured when it was just hot and then have to start over. 

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter two large sheet pans.
2) Mix in a small bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside. 

3) In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed until the butter is lighter in color and fluffy. As you can see I did a poor job creaming. Just make sure that your butter is not too cold nor melty, just soft. If your butter is cold, cut into 1/2 in. pieces and set out or microwave for 10-15 seconds. The temperature does matter here!
4) Add the egg, pumpkin, 1 tsp. of vanilla, and 3 Tbsp. of the reduced cider. Mix until well blended and then slowly incorporate the flour.
5) Scoop by rounded tablespoon (buy a mini scoop, best thing I bought all year) onto the sheet pans and bake for 15-20 min. or until the cookies brown just slightly along the edges.
6) Let the cookies cool a minute on the sheet pans and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. <--this may be the hardest part
7) While the cookies are cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine 1 Tbsp. melted butter to 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla and the remaining mulled cider.  Whisk till smooth.

8) Once the cookies have cooled, pour the glaze over the tops. You can get as fancy as you'd like here, I just went for the giant gob of icing method to assure my sugar fix was met. Also, to make the whole process a bit cleaner and easier, I left the cookies on the cooling rack and placed it over the sheet pan to do my glazing. 
Quick, easy and very tasty little cookies. The style is an old fashioned cookie so it's super soft, almost like eating a little mini cake. I brought them into work to share with my friends and everyone loved them. My only disappointment of the experience came when I ran out of mulled cider. Lesson learned, next time I'll buy two bottles!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Great work. I shall attempt a G-free version in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they would would be just as great gluten free, please share if you get around to it!

    ReplyDelete