Join the conversation! Follow me on Twitter @CrispinKatie and join the family on Facebook at The Cider Kitchen!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rhubarb & Pear Margaritas

Our little spring teaser here has really got me going nuts. All I want to do is dig in my yard, bask in the sun, and drink a bunch of margaritas. Is that really too much to ask?! Patience, yes patience, that thing that always seems to be evading me. Well in an effort to grasp at some of that thing called "patience," and to tide me over until the warm weather arrives, I pacified myself with some Rhubarb and Pear Cider Margaritas that I whipped up at a friend's house. It didn't fix my broken little heart, but it sure helped. 

Rhubarb & Pear Cider Margaritas: (per pitcher, 6-8 drinks or 42oz.)

2 bottles Fox Barrel Pacific Pear Cider
6 oz. Tequila blanco
2 c. Rhubarb, sliced into 1/2" pieces
4 Limes
1/4 c. Orange juice
2/3 c. Sugar
1 c. Water
Coarse Salt to rim the glasses

1) To make the rhubarb simple syrup, bring to a boil in a small saucepan; rhubarb, sugar, and water.
     Stir as you go and reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook 10-15 minutes of until the rhubarb has lost
     all of its color.
2) Strain the mixture with a fine mesh sieve and set aside to cool.
3) In a large pitcher; zest two of the limes, and add the juice from all 4 limes. Then add: tequila, pear  
    cider, orange juice, and 6 oz. of the rhubarb syrup.
4) To rim the glasses; fill a plate with coarse salt, run a lime slice around the top of the glass and
    press it into the salt.
5) Serve margaritas in glasses filled with ice and garnish with a lime wheel.
*Note: The simple syrup will make more than needed, but it keeps perfectly fine sealed in the fridge for up to two weeks. Making the syrup ahead of time and preparing the un-iced pitchers prior too, can make this a great fun, easy, and impressive party drink. 
Now there is nothing stopping you from grabbing the day by its nether regions and saying "hey!" "I'm going to enjoy myself here and there's nothing you can do to stop me." Tell em'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment